About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Letter To Robby

Dear Robby,

Seven years ago today, at precisely 2:10 PM, you came into this world. I was never so happy to hear a cry as I was when I heard you for the first time. Holding you in my arms, I knew that my life was irrevocably changed.

The first words that I whispered to you in the delivery room are the same that I say to you each night when tucking you into bed.  "I love you the whole wide world, the moon and the sun and all the stars in the sky." I will always love you and you will always be my little boy, regardless of your age.

It is hard for me to fathom that you are now seven years old. It seems like just yesterday you were holding my hand as you were taking your first tentative steps. Now it is hard for me to keep up with you as you run around the yard and jump in the stream looking for tadpoles.

Sometimes I become sad, thinking about you as a little boy. Although we don't cuddle nearly as much as I would like, I love watching you explore, grow and learn. I try to avoid reflecting on how much you have grown and changed, opting instead to stay in the moment. I suspect I'll have enough time to think when you are grown and move out. I will say that I have thoroughly enjoyed each stage and I wouldn't go back in time even if it were a possibility.

Your curiosity and enthusiasm are contagious. After all, only you could make me excited about looking for snakes and digging for worms. I'm so happy that you continue to enjoy spending time with me. I realize that soon this too will change, and friends from school will become the preferred playmate. In the meantime, I'll try to soak in each adventure.

I realize that I am biased, but you are an amazing little boy. Your generosity and the innate empathy that you continue to demonstrate leaves me filled with pride and awe. I was touched when you asked for teddy bears for your birthday with the plan of sending them the children who lost their toys in the Oklahoma tornadoes. I am fairly certain I would not have hatched a similar plan at seven years old! 

Today is your special day, and we will celebrate with gusto. As promised, I'll bring pizza and bread sticks for you and your classmates during lunch time. Cupcakes and ice cream will follow, along with various koopa themed crafts. The festivities will continue when you get home with your Daddy picking up Fettuccine Alfredo (your favorite) for dinner before I unveil your birthday cake.

Robby, I am eternally grateful to be your Momom. Happy Birthday to my favorite little buddy! I hope that the day is as happy and wonderful as you. I am looking forward to my adventures with my super seven year old!

Love,

Your Momom

No comments:

Post a Comment