About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

On The Radio

For the past few months I have been podcasting with a fellow amputee. Although I think that our discussions are both enlightening and entertaining, I have been hesitant to promote the venture because of one small issue: I absolutely hate the way my voice sounds on recordings. As it turns out, I am much more comfortable hiding behind a keyboard!

Today I am moving outside of my comfort zone, and although I'm uncomfortable, I also realize that I can't hide from opportunities because of my fear. Earlier this week I was invited to be a guest panelist on the Diane Rehm radio show (syndicated nationally through NPR). Although I was thrilled by the invitation, it's safe to say that I haven't slept well since the plans were solidified.

I have done numerous television and print interviews over the years. Although I always feel a surge of anxiety when meeting with a reporter, I have always been able to rally and squelch my fears. Today is my inaugural radio interview, and the new format has thrown me for a loop!

I know how to tell my story and how to speak effectively to topics impacting the community. I am passionate about the topic of today's broadcast (prosthetic technology and its availability to the civilian population), and I know that I am both experienced and well-versed with the details. I don't doubt my competence, but I do worry that I'll become nervous and tongue-tied as soon as the broadcast starts.

The way I sound resides at the top of my worry list for today. I've been promised that my own negative perceptions of my own voice are not echoed by others. Despite hearing these reassurances, I have spent the past few days trying to improve my sound. Unfortunately I have only managed to uncover an uncanny ability to speak like a cross between Daisy Duck and Porky Pig, with an accent that has never been identified by a linguist.

At the urging of my family and friends, probably because they are tired of my calling them in order to practice my refined dialect, I am waving the white flag when it comes to the way my voice sounds. I am going to have enough anxiety making sure that I communicate effectively. Although it would probably be wildly entertaining, trying to add "change my voice" to the list of things remember during the interview is a recipe for disaster!

I'm excited about the opportunity to represent the civilian amputee population. The show is being broadcast live at 11:00 today on NPR stations nationwide and I hope that you can tune in and cheer me on. Wish me luck!

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-05-16/scientific-advances-prosthetic-limbs

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the sound of your voice, I think we all have that fear. It's the message everyone will hear. WTG Peggy making the message being heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through the DRS this AM and am glad that I did. I'm mom to a congenital quadruple amputee daughter. I'm thrilled by all the advances in prosthetics. The more that become available to adults, the more will become available for children. Thanks for helping to raise awareness.

    Jessica
    www.limbdifferent.com

    ReplyDelete