About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ready to Fight!

Last week I felt as if I had been kicked in the teeth. Between fighting with Robby's former school over a nonsensical bill and dealing with horrifically insulting denials from my insurance adjustor, I was at a low point. Just when things were looking dim, I was offered a beacon of hope and reminded that not everybody is despicable. 

Elliot, my prosthetist, called me on Friday morning. I was expecting the conversation to revolve around work or the latest rhetoric concerning my denial. Instead, he asked me to come into the office. "I don't want you to be in pain or to have your safety in jeopardy because Elsie (he used her real name) has her head up her a$$.  I went ahead and built you a new socket. Let's get you comfortable and safe. We'll deal with the appeal and reimbursement later." 

The new socket has made the world of difference. Instantly my normal gait was restored, and the painful steps were gone. Because I was no longer hurting, I felt more energized and normal. It is amazing how an ill-fitting socket can wreak just havoc on every aspect of my life.

I woke up Friday morning feeling despondent and frustrated with life. Two hours later I was in Elliot's office, being fitted with the comfortable leg I thought was far outside my reach. I know that I am still facing a war with Elsie, but at least I won't be suffering during our battle! She, on the other hand, had better watch out.  I'm fighting her denial and her abuse of power with every weapon in my arsenal. I have been dealing with her dictatorship-like power for nearly 15 years. I refuse to be victimized by her for any longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment