About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Tokens for Quiet

After a rather difficult week health-wise, I was looking forward to spending a Friday evening at home. I wanted nothing more than to slip my leg off, curl on the couch and watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for the 50th time.  Things rarely go as planned. 

It turns out that Friday afternoon was Montessori School Night" at Chuck E. Cheese, and all of Robby's classmates were attending. The excitement of his classmates was palpable, and I knew my evening curled up on the couch was not going to happen! Instead of relaxing at home, I spent the evening in the midst of kids mayhem at Chuck E. Cheese.

While I was sitting in the booth at the chaotic kids paradise, I realized that there were great similarities between the arcade games and me.  Robby fed the games tokens in the hopes of winning some tickets. I constantly fed Robby coins with the goal of achieving continued quiet and peace. A single token only yielded a few tickets for Robby and only supplied me with a mere minute of solitude.

Although spending hours at a pizza arcade was not my preferred activity, Robby had an absolute blast playing with his friends. Keeping him steadily supplied with tokens, I was able to keep my physical activity to a minimum. I wouldn't go so far as to qualify the evening as restful, but I did not end up overexerting myself. In the end, the only thing that really felt the toll of spending hours at Chuck E. Cheese was my bank account. 

No comments:

Post a Comment