About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 01, 2014

My HAPPY Labor Day Post.

I have always hated Labor Day. As a child, I couldn't comprehend why people would celebrate the end of summer. Heralding the end of the warm days filled with playing and swimming, knowing that they would soon be filled with sitting behind a desk and homework, felt unnatural. Upon graduating and becoming a teacher, the anti-Labor Day sentiments remained. 

This is perhaps the first year I am not filled with remorse and dread when we flipped the calendar page to September. This year I have anxiously been awaiting Labor Day. The holiday has become my symbol, my beacon of hope through the past few months. Labor Day symbolically marked the end of my Surgical Summer, and the beginning of a new chapter which I intend to fill with happy memories.

Today is Labor Day and, although I am still feeling the discomfort from my last surgery, I feel victorious.  During the past few months I have been through hell, but we are now seeing the light on the other side. I am hopeful that my health obstacles are behind us and that I can concentrate on being a great Mom, wife, friend and employee. 

Robby starts school tomorrow, but this year I am not shedding tears. He is excited to return to the classroom, and his enthusiasm is contagious. I am so glad that he loves his school and teachers. The fact that his very best friend is going to be in his class this year is a much appreciated added bonus! I'm sure I'll miss him during the day, but between work and taking care of Timmy I have no doubt that the hours will fly by.

Timmy has never really known his Mom to be healthy, and I am looking forward to an Autumn full of adventures and experiences. The Surgical Summer is behind us. Today I am celebrating the beginning of our Awesome Autumn and the fact that my doctors now consider me to be CANCER FREE!


No comments:

Post a Comment