About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Discovering

Little Timmy is in a wonderfully inquisitive stage. You can see the wonder wash over his gleaming blue eyes with each magical discovery. From bouncing balls to throwing his sippy cups down the stairs,  he absorbs everything as if all is amazing.

The other day I was standing in the entrance of my kitchen, trying to figure out what I was going to make for dinner.  Timmy was busy tossing all of his little bowls out of the drawer and squealing with laughter as each one flew. Almost instantly he lost interest and came toddling over to me. Without missing a beat, he sat down and started to tap my feet.

He first touched my prosthetic foot before moving to my biological one. As he was switching between the two I realized that this was the first time he had actually seen my plastic foot shell. (I had just stripped off my shoe and sock to don my brand new summer sandals.) After nearly 3 full minutes of exploration, which is an eternity for a one year old to focus, I could tell that he was mesmerized and utterly confused.

While I'm sure that this was the first of many observations, it was the first time Timmy realized that my prosthetic is different than my biological foot. I just loved standing still, watching him explore my feet as he tried to piece it all together. Thankfully my camera was in my pocket, allowing me to shoot a short video to record the discovery.
A video posted by Peggy Friedman Chenoweth (@amputeemommy) on

No comments:

Post a Comment