About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Luncheon Day!

Today is a big day as Scott and I host his annual end-of-the-year luncheon for his students. The luncheon began almost a decade ago as a way to thank the community internship sponsors who worked with his students throughout the year. Over time, it has become an opportunity to celebrate the end of a year and to honor the graduating students. 

A few years ago we toyed with the idea of ending the luncheon primarily because it is both extremely labor intensive and expensive to host. When we learned that our hosted lunch is the only celebration some of his students receive when they graduate, we decided to carry on the tradition. (Between being categorized special education and living in the foster care system, many of his students have rarely experienced the family celebrations that we take for granted.) 

Yesterday I woke up early and worked on a report and other paperwork while everybody else was sleeping. Although it was painful pulling myself out of bed at 4 AM, I knew that it was necessary because I needed to knock out my work commitments early. I was going to be spending the afternoon cooking for 35 hungry teenagers.

After everybody left for school and my reports were done, Timmy and I began to work in the kitchen.  Wearing him on my chest for much of the time, we managed to knock out seven lasagnas and 3 trays of Alfredo casserole. I set the trays on the kitchen table, unstrapped Timmy so that he could toddle around (and I could stretch my back) and prepared to make the rolls. 

I should have known better than to trust a one year old! Almost as soon as I walked into the kitchen I heard a crashing sound, followed by Timmy shrieking. He had managed to pull one of the lasagnas off of the table and onto his head. He was dripping with red sauce, cheese and noodles!  If I hadn't been exhausted, and he hadn't been upset, I am fairly certain it would have been funny. I do wish that I had taken a photo, but at that point I just wanted to clean up the mess before he spread the red sauce through the house.

After taking an unscheduled break for a bath and change of clothes, I strapped Hamlet back onto my chest (he lost roaming privileges) and finished working on the rolls.  By the time Scott came home from work my kitchen looked like it had been hit by a tornado. Thankfully he is a well-trained husband and immediately began to help with the dishes.

The luncheon is today, and I hope that all of his students have a great time. Per tradition, I'm picking up Robby early from school so that he can attend. He is so excited to go help at his Daddy's school that he requested to wear his "fancy clothes" to the event. I'm sure that the students will smile seeing Robby serving food in his suit and tie. 

I enjoy the luncheon, but it is a lot of work. I'll be glad when it is over and I can relax. Or, at least relax as much as my little cherubs will allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment