About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Rock On

Last week Scott and I went out for the evening. We didn't realize until we were actually out of the house that it had been nearly 4 years since we went on a proper date night. I wish we go out together more often, but our lacking a babysitter certainly puts a damper on those aspirations.  Because we were going to a concert and we were anticipating a late night, my Mom came down to watch the boys.

The last time I went to a concert it was to see the Wiggles, so watching Tesla, Styx and Def Leppard was certainly a switch. Scott was beyond excited about the lineup, and while it isn't my type of music, I was content to see him so happy.  Although I love music, I lean towards country and Billy Joel whereas Scott enjoys more edgier genres. Needless to say, I was definitely pushed out of my comfort zone.

I felt like a fish out of water, not knowing the majority of the songs and unsure about concert etiquette. I felt as if I was playing follow the leader as I tried to emulate Scott's movements.  Unfortunately, since my "rocking out" was not authentic, I was slightly out of unison with the sold out crowd.  Thankfully the individual behind us noticed my desperately trying to plug my ears and offered me some ear plugs. Sporting neon orange foam ear plugs and fist pumping out of sync with the rest of the crowd, my attempts to assimilate were in vain.  I have come to the conclusion that I am far more comfortable at the Wiggles concerts.

Although seat assignments were issued with each ticket, I was surprised that they were rarely utilized. I anticipated some standing and cheering, but was woefully unprepared to stand for the duration of the concert. Standing in place is difficult with my prosthesis. I could easily walk three hours without experiencing the pain, numbness and tingling that ensued after I attempted to stand and "rock out" for 30 minutes.  My shifting weight from my prosthesis to my sound side became a bit of a solitary dance as the concert progressed. While I knew that only Scott noticed, I couldn't help but feel out of place because of the prosthetic issue.  Being an amputee stinks when I can't find a comfortable position!

Despite the aching limb, ringing ears and awkward fist bumping, I had a good time at the concert. Actually, I should preface that statement by saying that I had a good time with Scott at the concert. I still don't care for the music, but I loved spending the evening with him. We really need to orchestrate a date night more often. Only next time, I get to pick the activity!


No comments:

Post a Comment