About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

First Day of Fourth Grade

Another successful first day of school is in the books. Robby didn't complain about returning to school, but he did frequently voice his displeasure with the end of summer vacation. Despite his lamenting, he readied himself without much prodding so I consider the morning a success.

"Roll with it" seems to be the emerging theme for the school year.  A few weeks ago we learned that Robby's school was moving into a new building.  We had hoped that everything would be complete by the start of classes, but it quickly became apparent that the new location was not going to be ready for students in September. Dedicated to her students, Robby's teacher stepped up and offered her home as a make-shift classroom until the new building is ready.

Although attending classes in the teacher's house is not ideal, we are going to "roll with it."  Hopefully the new building will be ready soon and everybody can return to a more traditional setting. In the meantime, we are grateful to his teacher and her family who stepped up and made huge sacrifices for Robby and his friends. 

Robby's first day of school jitters melted away almost as soon as he walked into her home. He was met by the smiling faces of his friends, all excited to share stories about their summer adventures.  Robby quickly gave me a hug (but refused my kiss) and shooed me out the door. I was sad leaving him but my own emotions were quickly overwhelmed by Timmy's ire. He was furious that his brother did not return to the car with us, and screamed until we picked up Mr. Bill for breakfast.

I wasn't sure that Timmy would be up for our traditional first day of school breakfast, but his screaming turned to giggling as soon as Mr. Bill opened the car door. He was in full entertainment mode throughout the meal, delighting both Mr. Bill and everybody in the restaurant. The excitement of the morning caught up with Hamlet, who fell fast asleep in the car on the way home. He slept through the transfer to his crib, allowing me some much needed quiet time.

No comments:

Post a Comment