About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Cold Shock

Every season has its benefits and pitfalls. In the summertime, I thoroughly enjoy playing in the pool with the boys, walking any distance in oppressive heat causes my leg to profusely sweat, creating a puddle off ickiness in the bottom of my liner. In the spring and fall I have to be careful while walking to avoid slipping on wet leaves and nuts. In the winter, ice and cold are my amputation foes.

Waking up early in the morning, sliding out of my warm covers and slipping on an ice cold liner is simply torturous. Little is more shocking to my system than the instant cold that radiates up my limb and throughout my body. When I have the luxury of time (which is not often), I can warm the liner up a bit before donning. Unfortunately, Timmy's squawking doesn't calm with time and I am forced to move quickly or risk him waking up everybody in the house. On those mornings I am forced to slip a rubber icicle over my limb which is not the most pleasant way to start my day.

The temperatures are supposed to plummet over the next few days, so I am mentally preparing myself for the cold shocks I will experience. I realize that in the realm of amputation issues, a cold liner is minimal. More of a nuisance than an issue, I am trying to keep it in perspective. Of course, perspective is difficult when I am trying to put a frozen liner over a warm limb in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment