About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 11, 2016

18 years

Life certainly has a way of changing plans. I woke up this morning to the sounds of Timmy giggling and playing. Operating on autopilot, I put on my leg to join him. Seeing his smiling face and bright blue eyes I realized that I am completely fulfilled with my life.

Eighteen years ago I never would have imagined I would be living in Virginia, married with two kids and one leg. Fresh out of college, I was working my dream job in Baltimore. I was working with recently blinded adults and full loving the independence that both a first job and a first real apartment provided. I loved my job and basked in the youthful arrogance of knowing that I had already found my calling.

In a split second, everything changed. I wish I had a sexier journey to amputation, but mine began 18 year ago today with a computer monitor at a conference. A seemingly benign event, something that should have been a minor blip in my life, ended up throwing me onto an entirely different course.

Going to the doc-in-a-box on the Ocean City boardwalk, I never could have envisioned that the injury would lead me to becoming an amputee. I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life. I also couldn't imagine that a life could be as fulling professionally and personally as mine is today.

I can't say that I am glad that I had my accident, but I can say that I consider myself fortunate. I found a new passion in helping a community of which I am a proud member. I have an amazing family and support system. I am truly blessed.

Happy Injury-Versary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment