About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Home

Yesterday we packed up and headed home. Although we all had a wonderful time on our getaway, we were all happy to be home. We couldn't beat the location of our hotel room (on the boardwalk and steps away from the beach) but the cramped quarters became a little difficult to navigate. Containing our little trouble seeking toddler in a single room was construed as an invitation to wreak as much havoc as possible in a small space. He proudly succeeded in his mission.

Scott and I immediately unpacked and began the laundry when we arrived home. We were desperate to rid the sand from all of our possessions. The grit didn't seem to bother the boys, but it drove Scott and me crazy! Despite thorough cleanings, I'm fairly certain that a significant amount of sand will remain embedded in my prosthetic components until Christmas.

While we are happy to be home, I am going to hold onto some wonderful memories.  Scott and Robby went on a deep sea fishing adventure where Robby proudly caught a halibut fish "for the halibut." Timmy discovered the ocean and was enthralled with the sand. He was not happy with the waves and water, but finally tolerated having his toes covered (as long as he was clutching onto his Daddy's hands.)

By far my favorite memories are of my nightly boardwalk strolls with Robby. Each night after Timmy fell asleep we walked 1.5 miles to the Dippin Dots ice cream store. We spent the time hunting Pokemons, talking and people watching. After eating his ice cream we continued our hunting and conversations during the return trek to our room. Our strolls lasted about 90 minutes and I loved every moment! I don't get that much alone time with him anymore, but this is something I would like to change.

I think all of us want to return to some sense of normalcy after the chaos created by my back-to-back adventures. The boys (especially Timmy) need some downtime with their own toys in their own environment. I need space and an adequate wi-fi connection to catch up on some reports, and Scott has been missing controlling a television remote.  Even though we had a fantastic vacation, there is no place like home!








1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a nice trip. Good luck with the sand. The last time I slogged through the beach sand we were forever getting it out of my wheelchair. We love to travel, but it's always good to be home. Maybe that's why we call it home.

    ReplyDelete