About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Itchies

I have been fortunate when it comes to tolerating various materials against my limb. I don't react to much and have not had to deal with chronic rashes like many of my friends. Unfortunately I'm worried that my streak of good fortunate might be coming to an end. 

Yesterday my leg became increasingly itchy throughout the day. It began in the morning with an occasional itch. By the time I left to pick up Robby I felt like I was scratching at my thigh like a junk yard dog attacking fleas. It wasn't my entire leg (thank goodness because I might have scratched myself bloody if it were) but rather just the rim where my liner ends and grasps onto my thigh. 

When I took the time to remove my leg and liner I discovered a thin line of red bumps circling my thigh. Many of the bumps were blistered and others were scabbing over because I scratched them open. I don't know why, after more than a decade of being an amputee, I have developed a reaction to my liner. I'm hoping that this is an isolated anomaly and isn't heralding a new skin sensitivity.

I guess this is just another reminder of the fragility of my mobility. One component malfunction, or a skin breakdown, can sideline me. Thankfully the outbreak seems to be contained to a relatively thin line. I was generous with the hydrocortizone cream last night and I'm hoping that I won't have any more issues. Fingers crossed that the itchies stay away today!

No comments:

Post a Comment