About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Silly Insurance Issue!

I feel like I spent yesterday with the phone glued to my ear and spinning my wheels. My day was packed with conference calls and a cranky sick toddler. Little Hamlet was feeling horrible, and there was little I could do to make him comfortable. Even though I could manage the calls while caring for him, I felt guilty for not being able to disconnect from the world to cuddle with him for a few hours. Mom guilt will haunt me regardless of the situation.

My greatest accomplishment was finally being able to convince our health insurance company that Robby's ear surgery was not required because of a work-related injury. I'd say that I was surprised that it took me 45 minutes to explain to the insurance adjuster that my 10 year old son did not have a workman's compensation claim pending because of his congenital ear issues, but nothing really shocks me when it comes to insurance companies. The fact that I had to expend my energies on the issue was absurd. 

By the time Scott came home with Timmy's new medicine in hand, I was emotionally and physically spent. The small ingrown hair on my stump had grown into a large boil throughout the course of the day, adding to the misery of the day. All I wanted to do was to take off my leg, curl into bed and cry. Mom guilt and leg pain are never a constructive combination!

I'm hoping that Timmy is feeling better today, but I am fairly certain that won't be the reality. As frustrating as this is for me, I realize that it is at least ten times harder for him. At the very least I hope that his new meds begin to work and that my little guy returns to his mischievous self soon. I miss my little troublemaker. Of course, a day curled up on the couch may be the perfect medicine for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment