About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Heading out

Today I'm packing up and heading to the conference in Kentucky. I'm putting aside my "I want to stay home and hibernate" mentality and embracing the opportunity to have fun with my amputee friends. I know that once I am there and start hugging everybody, I will feel energized and excited. My post-vacation fatigue will dissipate and I'll find myself feeling empowered and stronger by being in their company. 

Assuming Scott remembers to take him and isn't smoothed-talked out of having him attend, Robby has another few days of summer camp this week. Scott will have to take him in the morning and pick him up each evening, leaving the bulk of the day free to hang out with Hamlet. Other than having to pack his lunch and feeding him dinner, taking care of Robby is no longer a source of anxiety. He is pretty self-sustaining these days.

I know that Scott is concerned about how to fill the hours with Timmy, but I have no doubt that he will find interesting and fun activities to share. Our little mess maker is at a fun age, soaking in new experiences and information like a little sponge. He is easily excited and enthusiastic about even the most mundane errands. (I really like this age!) Although Scott is worried and anxious about holding down the fort, I know that everybody will be fine in my absence. 

Leaving is never easy for me, but I am getting better about loosening the reigns. I have learned that my rules travel with me, and that the family functions differently when I'm away.  The boys will probably eat fast food for most meals, and the swimming pool might count as Timmy's bath. Robby will end up staying up well past his bedtime watching a movie with his Dad, and they will eat junk food before bed. Paper plates will take the place of our dishes, and the toilet seat will never be put down. But the boys will be safe and happy, and that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment