About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Quarantine

With the flu declared to have reached epidemic levels in our area, Timmy and I are again living a life of quarantine. The doctors have cautioned that his immune system is not strong enough to fight the flu and recommended the measure to add another layer of prevention. I'm not thrilled about being housebound again, but I will gladly stay home if it will help to keep my little guy safe. From all accounts, this year's flu strain is nothing to take lightly!

Scott will take the lead with all errands so that I can stay home with Timmy. We are reintroducing our quarantine protocol from last year by having both Robby and Scott thoroughly disinfect before coming upstairs when they are home from school. Scott keeps hand sanitizer in his pocket at work and uses it frequently. While I know that we can't safeguard Timmy 100%, we can certainly do our best to keep him safe. 

I hate that Timmy has to contend with immune issues, but compared to the other kids I see at the hospital he is extremely lucky. My heart breaks for the parents and the kids who flood the waiting room when we are at our weekly check-in at the clinic. By comparison my little Timmy's issues are trivial. I fully appreciate the fact that Timmy's issues are manageable and that he is doing well, but that doesn't mean that I still don't worry about him.  

During the next few week's we'll turn our downstairs into a makeshift gym to keep my little acrobat occupied. I'm sure that we will bake hundreds of cookies which will be eagerly accepted by all of Scott's students. Hopefully I'll be able to keep him so busy that he doesn't miss going to our typical romps. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment