About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Crunch

Outside it feels like a swampy mess. Even Timmy, who relishes spending as much time outside as possible, has been clamoring for inside activities. With continued hot temperatures and rain in the forecast for the next few days, it is going to be awhile before we dry out. 

With our activities relocated indoors, my living room has been transformed into a landmine of train tracks and various vehicles. My goodness my little guy certainly loves his trains! I try to keep a path cleared to walk to the kitchen, but even that "safe zone" becomes swallowed by the tracks by the middle of the afternoon.  Between the track clutter and being stuck inside, I am beginning to feel claustrophobic from the plastic overload. 

I am actively reminding myself that this stage will pass, and that some day I will again have a living room floor.  Of course it is an entirely different internal narrative when it is the middle of the night and I step on a train. Those little trains can cause a lot of pain.

Unlike Robby and Scott, who are forced to enter our train depot/ living room without adequate protection, I have learned to walk in a modified shuffle through the plastic toys. Whereas I hear Robby and Scott yelp in pain, I only hear a loud crunch when I step on a toy. Sometimes being an amputee has some clear advantages!



No comments:

Post a Comment