About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, July 06, 2018

Getting Ready

In many ways this weekend feels like the calm before an approaching storm. Next week will be both busy and hectic because I'll be packing and heading to Tucson. I am excited to attend and work at the national amputee conference, but preparing to travel is always an exercise in frustration. I am amazed at the amount of preparation required for me to leave the house for just a few days! 

This is Scott's first time alone with both Robby and Timmy for an extended period of time. (Usually when I have traveled it has been during the school year and my Mom takes Hamlet.) I know that Scott is especially nervous about trying to balance everything on his own. I assume that I am going to spend the weekend cooking meals and setting him up for success as much as possible.   

I remember how much Scott and Robby cherished their trip to Tucson a few years ago. If it had been feasible, I would have loved to have them embark on another father/ son southwest adventure. Being back at their special hotel without them is going to be bittersweet. 

Even though I am going to miss my family, I'm looking forward to being reunited with my amputee friends. Conference is one of the rare occasions where I am not unique or an oddity. Instead, I am merely just another amputee in a sea of others. It is empowering to feel "normal," even if it is only for a few days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment