About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Potty Training Trouble

Earlier this week, as I was rummaging through my purse for a pull-up diaper, another Mom proudly declared that her son was fully toilet trained at 18 months. I smiled and agreed that it was wonderful before sticking the pull-up up my shirt and discretely guiding my wet little cherub into the bathroom. Unfortunately Timmy doesn't do anything discretely, and began to scream "no pee pee potty" with a sense of outrage and panic.  

Timmy not only demonstrates zero interest or motivation in using the toilet, but he seems to go out of his way thwart our efforts. He melts down into tears and tantrums whenever I try to put cloth underwear on him. He has resorted to hiding in corners when he has to go to the bathroom in an effort to avoid going to the potty.  

I've read the books, bought the trainer toilets and urinals, and purchased the potty bribes. In May I was confident that he would be fully out of diapers by the end of the summer. Labor Day is around the corner and I'm still buying Pull-Ups and Diapers. Needless to say, we have failed to meet our goal. 

It is painfully obvious that I am not good at guiding a child through potty training.  In fact, I would go as far as to declare that I am a complete failure at potty training. Unfortunately for everybody, learning to use the potty is not negotiable. I'm in for a loud, and frustrating weekend as we continue our efforts.  Wish us all luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment