About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 20, 2018

Potato Dig

We decided to delay the potato dig until Sunday in hopes that the fields would dry out a bit. We realized that we miscalculated when another huge thunderstorm rolled through the area on Saturday night. Undeterred, we put on old shoes and grabbed our bags to embark on our annual potato hunt.  With all of the rain we have been receiving lately, I suspected that the fields were going to be muddy.  My muck expectations were exceeded. Whereas Timmy had a blast splashing in the mud, the rest of the family spent their field time artfully dodging the puddles (as much as possible).

Finding the potatoes was easy, but getting to them was a different story. I'm not afraid of dirt, but mud fills me with anxiety because it is easy to slip and fall. I was hyper cognizant of every step, carefully calculating my options and the preparing to slip with each movement. Thankfully I didn't end up on my bum, but I did slide around quite a few times. 

The slick mud definitely complicated a fun tradition. While we still had a good time, the event was not as carefree as it has been in the past. I was worried about falling, Scott and Robby were concerned about becoming too muddy and Timmy's loyalties were torn between puddle jumping and finding potatoes.  

Despite our efforts, we were muddy from the knees down. (With the exception of Timmy, who was thoroughly coated and gleeful in his filth.) Thankfully we had the foresight to bring extra shoes with us. Unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do about my muck covered foot shell. There weren't enough wet wipes in the diaper bag to get that thing clean!


No comments:

Post a Comment