About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Switching Beds

Hamlet was gobsmacked by his new bedroom. When he saw the new bunk bed slide and fort set up in his room he uncontrollably began to giggle. Even though he was home we didn't see him for much of the day. Every so often he emerged for a snack or a drink before scampering back into his fort utopia. 

He had a fantastic time playing in his fort and on his new bed and slide. Unfortunately, sleeping was an entirely different story. Throughout the night I heard him sliding into the bean bags and playing with trains in his fort. Around 2:30 we ended up switching rooms in the quest for sleep.  We put Timmy in our bed with Scott and I climbed into the top bunk. 

After settling down (again), we all ended up falling asleep. His new bed is surprisingly comfortable, but I discovered that getting out of a bunk bed without a leg is unnerving. Because I use a suction suspension, I need to full weight my prosthesis in order for it to be properly donned. I couldn't weight my leg while in the bunk bed, so I had no choice but to put it to the side and hop down the tiny staircase.  I was disappointed that the slide was way too small to fit my bum or I would have just slid out of bed.

Hopefully, the novelty of a new bunk bed will wear out and Timmy will learn to sleep in his new room. I'm glad that he loves the new set-up, but this Momom needs to sleep!




No comments:

Post a Comment