About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Phantom Pain and Gingerbread

Yesterday was cold and dreary. I didn't even need to get out of bed to realize that we were going to have an icky weather day. My leg started hurting at 3 AM, about the same time that the weather pattern came barreling into our area. I spent the wee hours of the morning feeling miserable.

Usually my phantom pain subsides when I put on my leg, but yesterday morning proved to be the exception. Pulling on my liner, my limb felt like it was being stabbed with tiny (albeit sharp) needles. The pain was so intense that I was forced to stop to gather my courage before continuing. Expecting the worse, I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was not as intense once I started to walk.

I was cautious throughout the day, fearful that each step might result in the same stabbing pain that I felt in the morning. Because of the weather and my leg issues, we spent the day being quiet. AFter a few hours I felt confident enough to embark on a holiday project. Timmy and I baked our gingerbread house and train.

Because of my helpful assistant, my gingerbread project ended up taking about 2 hours longer than projected. Even though we made a mess, we had a blast. Our gingerbread house and train will undoubtedly be wonky and tilted, but it was baked with happiness. I can't wait to start decorating!

I'm going to continue to take it easy today. Even though it wasn't nearly as intense, last night I had another round of phantom pain. I'm not sure why it is happening with increased frequency, but it is becoming incredibly frustrating. If it continues to flare, I am going to have to become more proactive and speak with my doctor. Hopefully a visit won't be necessary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment