About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, February 20, 2020

The Lobbyist

My mind continued to spin as I replayed the events from Tuesday afternoon. I remain frustrated that our legislation was moved into yet another committee. However, I know that I did my best and that, given the time constraints, there was nothing else I could have done to help propel the cause. I am beginning to parlay that frustration into a desire for action.

While we were waiting for our Bill to be called, Robby and I had the opportunity to listen to and watch the legislators in action all afternoon. Considering that the legislators also delayed a vote on a Bill to mandate hearing age coverage for children, I should not be surprised that they showed so little regard for the limb loss/ limb difference community. Armed with similar studies ensuring that providing the necessary devices actually keeps costs down, I felt a strong kinship with the hearing aid contingency.

I listened to the healthcare lobbyist, a well coiffed gentleman wearing a suit that certainly has a higher value than my car, speak out against every single Bill that related to the health of the residents of Virginia. At one point I found myself staring at the lobbyist when we were seated in the gallery. This individual has flamboyantly sold out his morality for money. Speaking out against every Bill was obviously a standing joke with the legislators, who laughed and knowingly nodded each time he approached the podium. 

Using this man as a springboard, Robby and I were able to have a lengthy conversation about valuing morality and ethics over personal greed. It is obvious that this man's moral compass does not mirror ours. I told Robby that, in a world where he can be anything, I hope he does not become that man.  




No comments:

Post a Comment