About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 17, 2020

Valley Forge

My Mom gave Robby and me the best Valentine's Day gift ever. Friday she babysat Timmy so Robby and I could visit Valley Forge. Robby has been learning about the American Revolution and has been begging to visit the famous site. The stars (and weather) finally aligned, allowing us to spend the afternoon exploring the encampment.

Robby was in his element! My little history buff took full advantage of our visit. Our listening tour, courtesy of the CD from the gift shop, was slated to last about an hour. It took us four hours because we stopped at every opportunity. 

The weather was gorgeous but cold. The bright blue sky with billowy white clouds provided the perfect backdrop for all of our photos. It was easy to oblige his requests to hike to a different outpost when the sun was shining so brightly. After being holed up inside, it was invigorating to be in the fresh air.  

I only wish that it had been warmer. Robby seemed oblivious to both the wind and the cold air, but it cut through me like a knife. Every time I complained Robby took the opportunity to remind me that my discomfort was nothing compared to the soldiers who lived on those lands during the American Revolution. (I knew that he was right, but it didn't mean that I wasn't cold!)

While Robby and I were touring the encampment, my Mom and Timmy were busy playing with trains and watching Yoshi cartoons. We were gone longer than I anticipated (although I should have predicted that Robby would want to deep dive into the opportunity), but everybody seemed happy and content when we finally arrived back at her house. Timmy can be a handful, especially when he doesn't feel great, but apparently he was both charming and well-behaved for his Nana.  

Maybe I need to find out her secrets to keeping him in line!












No comments:

Post a Comment