About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 05, 2020

Missing Leg Bones

Suddenly, Timmy seems to be fixated on the fact that I am missing my leg. Specifically, he is concerned that "Momom has no leg bones" as he touches my prosthesis. Fretting, he always follows the observation by declaring that he needs his leg bones to walk and that he doesn't want to give them up. 

I've tried to explain to him the reasons behind my amputation while stressing that he does not need to worry about losing his bones. Despite my reassurances, he continues to fret. Yesterday he ran out to the living room at least six times to talk about momom's missing leg bones.  He then frantically feels my hands, my arms and my remaining leg to make sure that I am still intact. 

Every time he comments about my missing leg bones I try to counter with reminding him that my prosthesis lets me do everything that I need. He accepts that the prosthesis is good, but continues to worry about the missing bones. I can see his little wheels turning, trying to make sense of it all. I know he will figure his way through it and that he won't be talking about my missing leg bones when he is thirty.  At least, I hope that he won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment