About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 06, 2020

Making Masks

Since the CDC recommended that everybody wear a mask when in public, Scott and I decided it was time to get out my sewing machine. I don't have a lot of fabric stowed around the house, but I did have a quilt top that was pieced together years ago which had never been turned into a blanket. Since I had no plans for the quilt, we took it apart to use the fabric for our masks. 

After several trials and some frustration getting the sewing machine to function properly, our family assembly line started to crank out colorful face masks. Robby and Scott cut the fabric according to the pattern while I worked on the sewing machine. It was definitely a team effort, but we managed to turn the quilt into 16 colorful face masks. 

To increase the protection, we took apart a virus blocking furnace filter and included a piece inside the pocket of each mask. I know that the protection is not medical grade, but it is definitely better than nothing. While we still don't have plans to break our quarantine by going into public, it is nice to know that we have masks if we need them.  











No comments:

Post a Comment