About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Timmy's Piratical Adventure

Several weeks ago I won a virtual play date for Timmy. After reviewing our choices, I chose a pirate as his play mate for the session. Conducted through Zoom, I was unsure about how he was going to interact and respond to the pirate leading the experience. At the very least, I knew that I wasn't paying and it seemed like a good way to spend 30 minutes. 

Timmy was slow to warm up to his pirate friend, but as soon as he became comfortable he threw himself into the adventure. He is accustomed to video chatting, the Zoom platform was familiar and easy for him to use. After a few minutes of timid responses,  soon he was laughing and playing along with his new play mate. 

The highlight of his piratical adventure was the magic trick, where a toy that the pirate was playing with suddenly inside of our couch console. Even though I knew that the gift was mailed earlier and I was instructed to hide it in the couch,  seeing the magic unfold in his eyes made me believe as well! His excitement about discovering the magical gift is something that I won't soon forget. 

The first photo was captured at the beginning of his play date. His perplexed look and stand-offish posture had me worried.  By the end he was leaning into the computer, actively dancing and singing pirate songs.  I was unsure at first, but the virtual play date has become one of the highlights of quarantine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment