About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Nutty

The weather is beginning to turn. The leaves are starting to gain some color and a few are even dropping.  I love this time of year, but it does not come without peril. Our driveway looks like it has been blanketed in hickory nuts. The squirrels love it, but I feel like I am one step away from a nasty fall.

Last October I fell in our yard and I limped for nearly six weeks. When I step on an uneven object, like a nut or rock, my ankle doesn't naturally accommodate. Instead, I am pitched off balance which, unfortunately, often results in a tumble.  Unfortunately, I haven't met an active amputee who has not fallen. It seems par for the course when you use a prosthesis.

I hate falling. Not only is it physically uncomfortable, but many times the emotional injury is more long lasting. Nothing makes me feel more vulnerable than falling because of my prosthesis!

I am not keen on another injury, so this year I'm being a little more proactive about our nutty situation. I've added sweeping all pathways to the chore wheel because I don't want to take any chances. Every season has its own dangers, and in the autumn, mine are nuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment