About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Clown foot

 Although she continues to struggle with pain and mobility, my Mom is progressing. After weeks of upheaval and angst I feel like my life is returning to normal. Of course, school ends in two weeks and then the summer stresses arrive. Alas, I'll let future Peggy worry about that. I'm just going to enjoy the normalcy of today.

The past few months have been stressful and have taken a toll on me. Since my brother's amputation in September and Timmy starting a new school, I feel like I have been living my life in triage. When I am stressed I eat. But when I'm frazzled, I tend to become nauseated. Since September, I have lost 50 pounds without an effort. 

I'm not complaining about the weight loss. There is no doubt that the 'frazzled diet' is effective, but I don't think it is an accomplishment worthy of celebration. I find the inability to enjoy food extraordinarily frustrating. I am not at the point of writing myself notes as a reminder to eat meals. Now that is a sentence I never thought I'd have to write!

Weight loss as an amputee introduces a host of issues. Primarily is socket fit. I am now suffering from what Robby has dubbed "clown foot syndrome" because my socket is too big and it now farts and flops around when I walk. I'm back to playing the padding game, trying to maintain suction without pressing against nerves and causing pain. 

Sigh. I'm going to have to start the process for a new leg. I hate the prosthetic process, but I dislike being uncomfortable more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment