About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 31, 2023

HOT HOT HOT

I was hoping I was going to be able to write that our Gettysburg vendor adventure was a rousing success.  But this is my blog and I won't lie. Attendance, and thus sales, were abysmal.  The number of volunteers, vendors and reenactors far exceeded the number of attendees. We estimate that around 400 people attended throughout the three day event compared to the estimated 3-5K that was promised in the vendor promotion material.

I'm certain that the excessive heat contributed to the lackluster attendance. It was hot. With temperatures in the high 90s and the heat index well into the 100s, being outside selling FlexyFriends was not enjoyable. The trickling crowds and ensuing boredom definitely contributed to the misery. 

Although we were miserable, I know that our comfort was higher than everybody else at the event. Scott, who loves both a challenge and a gadget designed to solve it, bought a portable misting fan. This isn't your run of the mill misting fan. This sucker sits on a five gallon bucket of water and throws a cool mist out 14 feet. We went through a lot of water, but we were able to maintain a more comfortable environment than our counterparts. I admit that I thought buying this fan contraption was a bit overboard, but my goodness I appreciated it when I was sitting in the 95 degree heat with the sun beating down. 

Despite sales being slow I am trying to remain optimistic about our weekend. While we didn't sell-out, we did make enough to cover our expenses. We were able to spend a special weekend with Robby who thoroughly enjoyed the event. The low crowds meant lots of space and time to browse and speak with all the reenactors. If you ask Robby, he will tell you that he had an amazing weekend. 

While we were busy hustling FlexyFriends to nobody, Timmy was hanging out with my Mom. It was too hot to do anything involved but it turns out that he did convince her to engage in a water fight. 

Timmy thoroughly enjoyed his alone time with his Nana. Robby had a great time at the non-event. Perhaps Scott and I were the only ones disappointed in the weekend.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment