About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer is officially here.

For most people, Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer. If you are a teacher or, like me, you are married to a teacher, you know that summer doesn't really start until school is over for the year. Tomorrow is Scott's last day of school and the first day of "our" summer vacation.

I am looking forward to his summer vacation, although I admit it does require a week or two of adjustment. Robby and I have carved out a comfortable schedule. Although it is wonderful having him home, Daddy's presence tends to disrupt the schedule.

For one thing, Robby absolutely refuses to take a nap when his Daddy is home. I suppose he takes it as his personal mission to entertain his Daddy, a job that he takes very seriously. This makes for a very cranky little boy by midafternoon.

I am in the process of trying to wean Robby from using his pacifier. He is now three and simply too old. Robby no longer asks me for the pacifier during the day. He has learned that I won't give it to him. He has also learned that his Daddy will, and it is one of the first things he requests when Scott comes home from work. It has become a family joke, because Daddy is going to have a harder time than Robby in giving up the pacifier! Hopefully we will be able to reach an understanding before the end of the summer, or Robby and I will have a major battle come fall.

I completely understand that summer vacation is meant to be spent relaxing. I have learned, however, that there is no such thing as a vacation when you become a Mommy. Although I do like having Scott home with us during the day, his presence translates into more work for me.

For instance, instead of preparing lunch for just Robby and me, now I will need to make lunch for Scott as well. There are more dishes to be washed because he is home during more meals. There is more clutter to be put away because he has more time to scatter things throughout the house. Basically, it is just more work for me during the summer.

I don't want to insinuate that Scott doesn't do anything during the summer because that would be untrue. Robby loves having his Daddy home with him during the day. I enjoy his being home as well, most of the time. I am wondering, however, when do I get my vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment