About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti.

I just put Robby to bed and I think he is relieved. I've been smothering him with kisses and hugs all day. The images coming from the Haitian earthquake are heart-wrenching. With every news story I find myself reaching for another kiss or hug from my precious little boy. I am reminded how lucky I am.

I am not a doctor, nurse or engineer. I do not have the means nor the knowledge to provide assistance directly. I must rely upon others, who are trained and knowledgeable, to provide the aid so desperately needed.

I am particularly moved by the stories of individuals who are thankful to be alive but have sustained an amputation. I cannot fathom the pain that these people are experiencing, but I can relate to the grief felt when a limb is lost. When I lost my leg I knew that I would rely upon a circle of professionals who would provide me with the tools and the knowledge I would need to walk. I cannot imagine the desperation felt by the amputee without that luxury.

Like millions of others, I have made a donation to the Red Cross. I wanted to do something more, something personal. I did some research and found this organization. I thought that others, particularly amputees, might be interested in their work.

Healing Hands for Haiti is a non-profit organization with a mission of providing prosthetics for the Haitian people. Unfortunately I fear that the need for their services are going to skyrocket in the coming months and years. For me, this is a small way one very grateful amputee can reach and provide assistance to another amputee who is not nearly as lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Peggy, I'm forwarding it to Pat and our kids and we'll all make a donation. Heartbreaking Haiti.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary. All of the aid organizations are doing wonderful work and I'm sure are suffering from strained resources and increasing needs. For me, this organization just seemed to be the best fit. Appropriate somehow... helping a fellow amputee. I really liked that they are training the Haitians to manufacture prosthetics, to not rely upon aid. I wish I could do more...

    ReplyDelete