About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Good... and The Bad

Yesterday was a long day working in the booth. It's physically exhausting to stand within a 16 foot space for eight hours. I was mentally drained after smiling, answering questions and engaging in small talk for hours on end. When I finally made it back to my hotel room, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep--which is exactly what I did!

Standing in the booth I am afforded the opportunity to meet prosthetists from all over the world. I met so many practitioners who exuded love for their profession and their patients. I was touched by the compassion that they demonstrated as they sought products to help their patients reach their goals.

Unfortunately, I met with some prosthetists who seemed to be lacking both interest in learning and compassion for their patients. My heart sank as I spoke with some of these individuals. Simply put, I am astonished by the sheer number of really bad prosthetists.

I was told repeatedly that "computerized components aren't worth trying" and "I will never even let my patient try (fill in the blank)." One practitioner from the New England area informed me that he doesn't encourage his patients to learn about components and prosthetic options because he's "been doing this for 22 years and he will always know more."

Practitioners bragged to me about how much money they earn, remarking that they choose components that provide the highest profit margin. I was left speechless (which doesn't happen often) when a prosthetist actually referred to me as a "fly girl." When I asked him to explain, he told me that my job (patient model/ company Spokesperson) was "simply to be another member of the freak show that walks around this hall."

Yes, a prosthetist actually referred to a group of amputees as freaks. The fact that this man actually has a practice and sees patients scares me. My heart goes out to those who seek care from this man!

How many amputees are settling for poor prosthetic care? Apparently the number is higher than I realized. Thankfully I also interacted with a multitude of practitioners who were interested and excited to embrace innovations. I would feel comfortable having some of these individuals treat my friends and family. The good prosthetists outweigh the number of the inept, but it doesn't diminish the fact that some amputees are receiving sub-par care.

Innovations are occurring at a furious rate in the field of prosthetics. Now, more than ever, it is important for the amputee to become educated about components. If your practitioner refuses to discuss a product with you or is unwilling to explore other prosthetic options, seek care somewhere else.

We don't return to a hair dresser after we receive a bad haircut, yet many amputees continue to patronize prosthetic facilities that are creating ill-fitting sockets, manufacturing inappropriate prosthetics and are unwilling to consider patient input. One of the most important jobs of a prosthetist is to listen to the patient. If you aren't being heard, I urge you to find somebody who will listen. If you need help locating a new practitioner, let me know and I'll try to help.

3 comments:

  1. A freak show?! I can't get my jaw off the ground. I think I would have slapped him which is probably why I've not be asked to do what you do. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow....

    I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago and check it every so often. I cannot believe that man.... Like KFG, I too had my jaw on the ground.

    I work for an O&P facility where I handle the billing and insurance authorizations, etc. If one of our practitioners ever said anything like that, there would be serious consequences. If you remember the company that person worked for, I would seriously suggest you contact them and let them know how they are representing their company and their profession.

    I'm so sorry that people are so insensitive and so rude. It boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've hit upon something really important. As a former prosthetic facility co-owner and amputee myself, I am constantly staggered - blown away - by how many patients tolerate a track record of failure in their prosthetic lives that they would deride as insane in every other aspect of their existence.

    You don't keep taking your car back to the same repair shop if the mechanic can't fix the issue after 2-3 times at most. But people with limb loss/difference continue to visit prosthetists whose only demonstrated ability is NOT solving their prosthetic issues. Not once or twice or three times. For YEARS.

    The best prosthetists out there expect us to hold them accountable for the work they do. It's our responsibility to nicely, fairly, but consistently hold them to that standard. Why make a lousy auto mechanic rich?

    ReplyDelete