About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Peer Discussions and Confessions

I enjoy working at these prosthetic conferences for a variety of reasons. Selfishly, I relish the time alone where I am allowed to order room service, walk around in my roomwith no pants and put whatever I want to watch on the television. I am able to sleep soundly with the knowledge that I don't need to listen for Robby.

When I am not working, my time is my own. I don't need to finish housework, make dinner or wash another load of clothes. Of course, a week's worth of these tasks will be waiting for me when I return.

I also find it refreshing to be among other amputees. I feel a sense of relaxation when I know that I am not the only prosthetic user in the room. Carbon fiber and titanium limbs are commonplace around the hotel, at least for this week! I am the norm, not the anomaly. It's a nice change!

I enjoy talking with other amputees, comparing experiences and discussing prosthetics. It amazes me how quickly a casual conversation can shift from "what type of foot do you use" to more personal confessions such as "I still can't look at myself naked in the mirror." I'm not sure if everybody working in the booth has a similar experience, but I tend to field a lot of personal questions.

Some things are simply instinctively understood by another amputee. As much as I try, I cannot accurately describe what it feels like to have an ill-fitting socket, or the frustration that is felt when nerve pain keeps me up at night. It is nice being around others who deal with similar issues.

Today I will spend the entire time working in the booth. I'm hoping that I will have the opportunity to explore to exhibition hall today. I do know that I will meet more interesting people with fascinating experiences. I am also sporting a brand new green headband in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

On a completely unrelated topic, I am missing Robby and Scott. This hotel is a family destination. My room overlooks the pool, including a water slide and waterfall. Robby would have loved it here!

Last year we had so much fun on St. Patrick's Day. Thankfully he doesn't understand calendars yet, so I can have the Leprechaun come to the house any day I pick. Knowing that doesn't make me miss him any less.

Oh well. I have another long day in the booth. Wish me luck and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment