About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome Home Present

Despite the adventure and "Mommy break" of last week's conference, I was ready to come home. It felt like the final leg of my flight home was taking an inordinate amount of time. Eager to see Robby, I admit that I threw an elbow or two to get off the plane quickly. I couldn't wait to see my little boy!

As soon as I walked passed security, I saw Robby. I knelt down (I knew that I risked being knocked over by him if I wasn't stable) and he ran into my arms. After my hug he turned and ran back to his Nana and retrieved something. He ran back to me and presented me with a treasure.

Robby and his Nana (my mom) went shopping to buy me something special. Robby initially wanted to get me diamonds because he knows that "Momom likes sparkly pretty things." Unfortunately he only had $20 of Kohl's cash.

He found something better than diamonds because what he chose is covered in glitter and is yellow. It happens to feature one of his favorite objects, the egg. Robby bought me an egg tree which he thinks is nothing short of magical.

Since presenting it to me, Robby has been insistent that the egg tree always be within my reach. If I walk out of a room, he quickly follows carrying the little treasure. At Robby's urging, the egg tree sat buckled into the front passenger seat on the ride back to Virginia. Since I returned home, the tree has been in the kitchen, the living room, my bedroom and, much to my chagrin, the bathroom. He is so proud of his gift that he showed it to Charlie Cat and to Mr. Bill.

Mr. Bill, after appropriately ooing and ahhing over the egg tree, asked Robby when the eggs were going to hatch open. He told my little animal lover that the eggs hanging on the branches need to be kept warm so that they will grow and hatch. I immediately told Robby that Mr. Bill was teasing, but I knew that part of Robby thought that Mr. Bill might be right.

I think I managed to convince Robby that the kitchen is the perfect location because I can look at it all the time. My little buddy agreed, and added that the kitchen stays nice and warm, especially when we bake cookies. I took that comment as a hint to start baking.

He was not hinting for cookies. I walked into the kitchen to find my cute little fake egg tree swaddled in a towel. Robby immediately offered his explanation, "Momom, you just never know what might be inside those eggs, so it is a good idea to keep it warm just in case. There might be a little tiny baby birdie in there."

I guess I should be happy that Mr. Bill didn't tell Robby that he needed to sit on the eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment