About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Rest and Hydration

This past weekend was not my best; I woke up Friday with an earache. By the time I picked up Robby from school, the dull pain in my ears had gravitated across my entire cranium. When I was finally finished with my evening student, my headache had turned into a full blown migraine. I was shaky, had chills and couldn't stop vomiting. I crawled into bed, surrendered Robby's care to Scott, and tried to escape the pain.

My sleep was fitful, but by the time I woke, my headache had subsided. Unfortunately I was experiencing cramping, a symptom I found quite worrisome. I broke down and called my doctor's office, fully expecting to be chastised for calling on a Saturday morning.

 I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised when the doctor finally called me back. She was kind and understanding. I can't say that she was terribly helpful, but at least she didn't make me feel dumb because I called. After recounting the past 24 hours, I was prescribed rest and hydration until the cramping stopped.

I spent the remainder of the weekend watching Christmas movies on the couch while drinking obscene amounts of water. Robby's friend, the neighbor down the street, came over to play each day, and the pair accepted the unspoken mission to keep me entertained. They performed Christmas songs, dance routines and little skits to keep me from becoming bored.

 By Sunday morning the cramping had subsided, allowing me to actually relax during my prescribed rest. I'm feeling much better now and, although I hesitate to admit it because I enjoyed the doting, I don't think I need to continue with the rest directive. I am going to pace myself, but there is a lot that needs to be done. After all, Thanksgiving is just a few days away!

No comments:

Post a Comment