About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving!

I have come to the conclusion that Thanksgiving ranks among my favorite holidays. For me, Thanksgiving is all about family. We don't see each other often enough, but we remain close despite the distance. Every time we get together we end up laughing, eating and goofing around. Thanksgiving is special because it lacks the stress from shopping and gift exchanges that often accompany other holidays.

Thankfully my phantom sensations have shifted from painful to uncomfortable, allowing me to walk with more ease. I remain acutely aware of each step, but I am no longer limited by the pain. Hopefully my leg will continue to improve and I will be back to my normal self by tomorrow morning. After all, tomorrow is the biggest shopping day of the year and I need to make sure I bring my A game!

I'm beginning to suspect that my phantom sensations may stem from more than the weather. Although I try conceal the bump by wearing Scott's sweatshirts, I am now beginning to show. I theorize that my leg is beginning to swell (along with every other appendage), causing the tissue to become squished inside the socket. I hope that this is not the case, although I know that it is an inevitable result of being a pregnant amputee. I suppose I should begin laying the insurance groundwork to secure a new socket, but I am dreading the battle which will ensue. I resent that I have to fight my insurance adjustor to receive such basic prosthetic care.

Today is not about complaining, so I'll put off fretting about the socket until next week. This morning I'll be helping my Mom finish cooking and ready the house for company. I know that once everybody arrives, it will become chaotic and loud. I am going to try to enjoy these quiet moments before the clamor begins.

After the meal has been eaten,  I will end up in the living room, surrounded by my cousins as we carefully plan our respective Black Friday shopping tactics. I'll go "old school," using the newspaper ads to help plan my retail attack. Scott will use more high tech tactics. He'll fire up my laptop, log onto my Hotspot VPN and fortify my information with product reviews and online price comparisons. Together, we'll get the best deal possible. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking time out of your holiday to read my blog. I am thankful to everybody who has supported me and cheered me on over the years. I will be forever grateful for the authentic and genuine friendships which have been formed because of this blog, and I know that I am a better person for getting to know many of my readers.  I hope that everybody has a wonderful Thanksgiving. May your day be filled with love, laughter, good food and cupcakes!



No comments:

Post a Comment