About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Head Banger

Yesterday was not one of my best days.

My morning started off on a positive note when Elliot was able to adjust my socket to alleviate the pain I was feeling. It is amazing how much lighter I always feel when I am walking without discomfort! Timmy was even quasi-cooperative during the appointment, which bolstered my hopes for a good day.

Unfortunately the day went downhill after I left his office. Timmy's mood soured almost as soon as I buckled him into his car seat. He proceeded to scream the entire drive home (nearly 60 minutes due to construction traffic). I thought that the meltdown would have tired him out. Instead his energy seemed to be intensified by his ire. By the time we arrived home he was a sweaty, angry mess and I was exhausted with a headache. 

Timmy settled down long enough for him to eat his lunch before I had to put him in the car to go work with Abby. He loudly vocalized his displeasure at being put back into the car and only stopped screaming when he finally dozed off -about 15 minutes before we arrived.  Needless to say, he was not amused at being woken up and moved when we arrived.

Abby was not feeling well, so our appointment was shortened. After I strapped a wiggly Hamlet into his car seat, I walked to the end of the driveway to open the wrought iron gates. With my head bent down (looking for the latches in the ground) I pushed on the gate. In a flash the gate flew back, hitting me squarely on the top of my forehead. 

I felt pain, and then I felt the gravel driveway beneath my cheek when I fell.  I had managed to knock myself out. The rest of the day I was disoriented, tired and frustrated by the ringing in my ears. I called the doctor which turned out to be a waste of time. I was told to avoid strenuous activities, not to hit my head again for six weeks, and not to drive any heavy machinery.  (I guess I'll have to put off participating in that demolition derby another month.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon trying (in vain) to focus and work. I finally acquiesced to the injury and shut down my computer early.  Hopefully today will be a better day because I think I am overdue!

1 comment:

  1. Peggy! You likely have a concussion! Please see a doctor! There can be serious repercussions from that sort of injury!!!