About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Leg Repair

Yesterday started with my being frustrated. While the fit of the socket felt fine, I couldn't
maintain suction. With each step I heard the familiar and unsettling swishing sound, reminding me that my prosthetic was not securely attached. After cursing my leg repeatedly and finally getting Timmy settled, I sat down to figure out what was going on.

It didn't take me long to figure out why I was having trouble with my leg. The valve had completely detached from the socket. Of all the possible prosthetic malfunctions, this one is perhaps the easiest to fix.  While my hot glue gun was heating, I realized that in this unique amputee situation I am incredibly lucky.

When my bi-legged friend's break a leg, they have to endure a lot of pain and visit the emergency room. They are fitted with a hot and awkward cast which becomes itchy and smelly with time. The process lasts months as the bones mend. It can be an arduous process which impacts the entire family.

There I sat, with my leg broken. I wasn't feeling any pain, and I could fix it with a little hot glue. I realized that gratitude is a matter of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment