About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

New School

Robby had the opportunity to spend the day in what could become his new classroom. He was understandably nervous to walk into a strange setting filled with new people. Despite his nerves, he handled the experience like a seasoned pro. I'm so incredibly proud of him!

I woke up early to bake cookies for him to share with the class and the teacher. Since many of the students could become his classmates next year, we decided that sharing a treat during the visit might contribute to making a favorable impression. I couldn't help but think about my Dad as I was baking cookies at 6 AM.  He emphasized that bringing donuts or treats to the office can go a long way towards relationship building, and I had to smile as this tradition was being passed down to Robby.  

With cookies in hand, Robby tentatively followed the teacher into his new classroom. I couldn't help but worry about him throughout the morning. It wasn't until I received a text message from him, asking to stay longer, that I began to relax. If he wasn't having fun, he certainly wouldn't reach out to stay longer.

My little Koopa was all smiles when I picked him up. The students were nice and welcoming, and the classroom setting was comfortable and relaxed. Robby particularly enjoyed caring for the chickens, which are a permanent fixture because the school is located on a farm. 

With everybody on board, we are going to make the change official but completing the paperwork. Despite his inherent aversion to change, Robby is excited about going to the new school next year. I feel relieved, and I cannot wait to watch him grow through this new academic adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment