About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 20, 2018

From Angst to Ire

Motherhood is full of highs and lows. After a successful observation, we were floating on Cloud 9 believing that we had finally settled on a new school for Robby. Yesterday I received a phone call that felt like a kick in the gut, plummeting me into disbelief and despair.  

A representative from the little Montessori school on the side of a mountain called me to inform me that Robby was not welcome to attend their school. Concerns about his hearing, coupled with references to being able to "articulate within the community" were the reasons provided. 

She kept stating that they were not equipped for special needs, which was odd because Robby does not require any special services.  I was going to argue that he does not have an IEP nor does he require accommodations other than sitting on the left, but I quickly realized it was pointless. It would not be advantageous for anybody, especially Robby, to attend a school where his unique perspective, gifts and talents are not wanted.  

The representative from the Montessori school on the side of a mountain seemed upset when I stated that we were disappointed but we did not want to send Robby somewhere that he is not wanted. She began to backtrack her conversation with excuses about not being equipped to serve his needs. In lieu of telling her to f*ck off, I simply ended the conversation said hung up the phone.  

I spent the majority of the day in tears, devastated and disappointed for my Koopa. It breaks my heart that something that is out of his control is being used as a mark against him. In this day and age, I am astounded at the amount of discrimination still rampant in our society. I expected more from the Montessori school on the side of a mountain. 

I keep replaying the conversation, and her references to being able to "articulate within the community" keep sticking out. In my heart, I believe it was Robby's speech impairment that kept him from being admitted. The Montessori school on the side of a mountain strives for homogeneous group of students who can be paraded within the community. A child with slushy speech does not fit their mold. 

This morning my tears have dried and my angst has turned to ire. Robby does not yet know, but Scott and I are agreed that we are simply telling him that they do not have room in the class for more students.  Today I am revamping my search for a new school. I know that the perfect one is out there. Robby is a smart kid with a wonderful sense of humor and strong standardized test scores. He will be an asset to any school lucky enough to have him enrolled.

I'm relieved that we discovered the true colors of the Montessori School on the side of a mountain before it was too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment