About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

TSA "Screening"

My recent airline travel has confirmed my belief that TSA is in desperate need of continued training. None of the agents I encountered knew how to handle my prosthetic. I know how the screening is supposed to unfold and I become frustrated when I seem to know protocol more than the employees!

The "security" screening on our outbound trip consisted of the agent asking me what other people do, followed by a quick "I think you're fine honey. Have a good day." I wasn't swabbed, nor was I patted down. It doesn't exactly instill confidence, does it?

On the return trip, the agent only did a visible inspection. Although, in all fairness, using the term "inspection" may be deceiving. In reality she looked at my prosthesis, said "I see you have one of those prosthetic legs. I think I have to swab your hands."  After my hands (but not my prosthetic) were swabbed, I received a kind "Go ahead dear." It is frustrating that the TSA screening experience continues to be piecemeal and inconsistent.

After a long evening of travel, we arrived safely at my Mom's house. Today we will make the final of our trip as we return to VA. The boys and I have been away now for two weeks and I think we are all anxious to go home.

Traveling with Timmy went as well as anticipated. He was high maintenance but behaved, which is really all that matters. We lucked out by discovering a playground at the airport, allowing him a much needed energy outlet before being confined in a seat. If you ask me, every airport would benefit from not only continued disability training for their TSA agents but also by offering a small playground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment