About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Settling into Summer

It certainly took awhile, but it feels like summer has finally arrived. The temperatures have been hot and the sun has been shining bright, allowing us to escape to the pool each afternoon. Both boys are little water bugs and could stay splishing and splashing all day. I love our lazy summer afternoons!

Ten years ago, the idea of going to the pool would leave me angst ridden. As I'm growing older I'm adopting more of an "I don't give a damn" attitude. Several years ago it occurred to me that not one person is judging my jiggly bum and dimpled thighs when I walk by. In fact, not only are they not judging my flaws, I venture to say that they don't even notice. When I walk around the pool deck, eyes never seem to move beyond my prosthesis. I could walk around completely naked and I don't think anybody would notice.

I've decided to embrace the distraction instead of being frustrated by it. Because nobody is looking beyond my leg, I feel comfortable being myself without feeling insecure about my shape. I'm now able to play with the kids and have a great time without the constant worry that used to plague my swimsuit reveal. Talk about feeling empowered! I suppose this is an unlikely benefit of being an amputee woman.

This morning I was up early, knocking out some work before the sun comes up. The forecast is predicting more hot temperatures, so I'll be heading to the pool for a few hours this afternoon. I could get used to this summertime routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment