About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Cold Weather Tip

Our yard is blanketed with a beautiful blanket of fluffy white snow and schools have been canceled. Robby and Timmy were eager to start playing as soon as the first flakes began the fall, but I was a "mean Momom" AND made them stay inside. The heavy snow and high wind combination always keep me nervous! Today the winds have died down, so I anticipate hours of snowball fights, sledding and covering our yard with snow angels. 

With the extreme cold moving into the area, Timmy will be completely bundled before going outside. I don't want him to miss out on childhood fun, but his cold allergy always makes me nervous. We are still trying to figure out the balance between his having fun and remaining completely protected from the elements. Hopefully, it won't always be this nerve-wracking. 

In anticipation of the extreme cold, last night I dug through our coat closet to find my disposable hand warmers. Although they are typically used to keep fingers nice and toasty inside of gloves, I discovered that they also work inside my socket. When the temperatures drop severely and I'm outside for any length of time, my limb becomes so cold that it feels like ice when touched. The pain radiates up through my knee and into my hip and lasts for hours. I discovered the hand warmer tip when Robby was young and we were spending hours playing in the snow. 

After the handwarmer is activated, I put it into the bottom of my socket (making sure to not cover the valve.) My limb stays nice and toasty for six hours at a time, even when I'm knee high in snow. If only I could figure out something just as effective to safeguard Timmy from the elements!

No comments:

Post a Comment