About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Secondary Conditions

Several decades ago (yikes), I learned a statistic in school that has stayed with me. In reality I  learned a lot of statistics, the majority which I promptly forgot after the exam. For some reason, the fact that 90% of all health problems are experienced by 10% of the population  absolutely fascinates me. I find it both perplexing and sad, although as I have gotten older I have come to understand the cycle.

Our bodies are always teetering on the verge of collapse. It's depressing and scary to dwell on that reality so I try to avoid thinking about it too much. When one thing goes wonky, other issues arise as collateral damage.

My back and hip are starting to cause pain. Each morning I wake up tender and I have to calculate each move until I am fully mobile. My days of hopping out of bed are gone. Now I feel like an old lady, carefully contemplating each movement before creeping out of bed. I have no doubt that the pain is due to my prosthetic use and it stinks!

Earlier this week we recorded a podcast centering on the uneven distribution of both healthcare issues and spending.  The impact of secondary health conditions is staggering, and I'm glad it is starting to receive more attention.  You can listen to the podcast here.

No comments:

Post a Comment