About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 07, 2021

Shocked

I had been dreading yesterday for weeks, warning my Mom that something catastrophic was going to happen. I was horrified, but not surprised, when I watched the Capitol building overrun by the mob. Scott, Robby and I were glued to our television yesterday afternoon, gobsmacked and disgusted by the scenes unfolding in the Capitol building. This is not the America I grew up in, and I mourn if this is the country that my children will know. 

 

Robby has always worn the label "Patriot" with immense pride. He has volunteered his time with Freedom Flights, and with wounded military. He voraciously absorbs American history and has curated an eclectic collection of military and US memorabilia in our basement museum. I often find myself astounded by his passion and love for American history.

Today he is afraid to refer to himself as a "Patriot." The moniker, which has always been worn with pride,  has been hijacked and perverted by the misguided terrorist mob. We've tried to explain that the actions yesterday were not completed by patriots, they were conducted by terrorists committing treason. Unfortunately, it is difficult to convince him when the President heralds the acts of domestic terrorists as Patriots.

I am sad for him, and for everybody who loves this country. Left or Right, Blue or Red. Patriotism suffered a blow today.

I hope that today we can all begin to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment