About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Mashed Potatoes Breakdown

 The house is very quiet without Robby. He has been keeping in touch by texting throughout the day and video chatting at night, but his presence in the house is deeply missed. I know that it is going to take several weeks for us to settle into our new normal. In the meantime, I am trying to be patient with the emotions that seem to wash over me at the oddest times. 

Yesterday evening, while whipping up some mashed potatoes, I felt myself holding back tears. While evaluating the mashed mixture, I realized that I had made way too many. With Robby away at school, I need to start to cut back on the amount of food that I prepare each day. That realization that he wasn't at home, and that he would be living in the dorm from now on, sent my emotions into a worm hole.

Despite my emotional quagmire, I've been trying to maintain an upbeat demeanor. Yesterday I made the afternoon all about Timmy. We went out for school supplies and a special ice cream treat. He seemed happy with the attention, and I even sensed an enthusiasm for returning to school. After a relatively boring and laid back summer, I think he is ready for the excitement and activity of a school day.


No comments:

Post a Comment