About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 19, 2024

Move-In Day

 I woke up early this morning to a quiet house. After a chaotic, busy and emotionally draining weekend, I am grateful for the solitude. This week is going to be a busy one as we work to settle Robby into college and help prepare Timmy for his start of school next week. It is only Monday and I am already eyeballing Friday afternoon, willing it to come quickly so that I can unplug, decompress and take a well-needed break. I am hoping for an easy week because I am not starting from a position of strength.

Saturday went by like a blur, leaving me in a wash of memories inside a tornado of emotions. After fighting against an administrative mix-up to secure a dorm room, moving in felt like a victory. As the boxes were schlepped up the three floors (no elevator) and piled in his room, the reality started to hit all of us. Robby was moving into his dorm and he would not be coming home with us. 

I'm proud of myself for keeping my emotions in check. I knew that if I broke down, Robby would quickly follow suit. Instead I focused on the excitement of the situation by constantly reminding myself that Robby is embarking on an amazing, life-changing adventure. He is ready and he is going to love it! I kept a cheerful and excited smile on my face as I made his bed and helped ready his room, but my heart felt like it was shattering.

Robby is adjusting well, although he is lonely and still nervous. He will be busy all day with the orientation work which will help to keep him busy and become more comfortable in his new surroundings. The rest of the freshmen, including his roommate, will move into the dorms on Thursday. He has a few days left in a quiet dorm, which I have encouraged him to enjoy. Once the crowds move in, silence will be golden!









No comments:

Post a Comment