About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

An Exciting Time for Amputees

I learned volumes at the Chicago conference. Although I was working and wasn't able to attend the seminars, my time in the booth afforded me the opportunity to "pick the brains" of some of the smartest individuals in the field of prosthetics. It feels strange to write, but this is an exciting time to be an amputee.

Throughout history, advances concerning amputation care and prosthetic design have only occurred during time of war. Scores of wounded soldiers requiring prosthetics forces the federal government to invest in research and design for new devices. Without the impetus of a war to spur research, the field is simply too small to make great strides.

Bionic technology is becoming both more compact in design and more responsive. I had the opportunity to see the new PowerKnee. In addition to simulating knee movements and offering stumble recovery, the knee actually helps to propel the wearer. I am blessed that I have not lost my knee, but I can imagine that this device will help a lot of AK amputees.

In the booth I met a variety of interesting people, including two engineers who focus on research and development. I took the opportunity to voice my displeasure over the unflattering rolling liner. I am pleased that they listened to my concerns. I was impressed that they returned to speak with me the next day after they spoke with the appropriate researchers. Apparently a non-rolling conical shaped liner is in development and should be ready for testing soon.

It was in the conference booth that I discovered that my weight loss had a more far reaching impact upon my prosthetic than I realized. I knew that shedding the pounds resulted in a smaller stump, necessitating multiple sockets. I also knew that, since my limb was small, my liner size would be smaller. I assumed that the impact was limited to these areas.

I did not know that components were manufactured in various categories depending upon the weight of the user. In retrospect it is logical. A foot designed for somebody who is 100 pounds will not work the same way for a user who is 200 pounds. In the realm of prosthetic components, size matters!

I have been walking around on a foot designed for an individual who was 225-250 pounds. I am now significantly lighter. The foot was not as reactive as intended because I did not have the weight to make it work. I was placed into the appropriate category foot, and instantly felt "springier."

The difference I feel between the two categories of feet is significant. I didn't realize that I was missing a "spring in my step." As I slowly lost weight, my foot slowly became less responsive. I suspect that if the change had been immediate, I might have noticed.

I am lucky that I was working at the conference and that the inappropriate category was spotted. I continue to have the highest level of respect and admiration for my prosthetist, although I do question why the mismatch was overlooked. It does make me wander, what else am I missing?

I should have researched the impact of weight loss and prosthetics more thoroughly. My prosthetist should have known that my drastic loss of pounds put me into a different category foot. As far as I am concerned, we share responsibility for the mistake.

I left Chicago armed with increased knowledge about prosthetic components. I now have the correct foot for my weight category. I also received a really cute pair of shoes because the salespeople didn't like my Shape-Ups. Information, a new foot and a new pair of shoes... I would say that the trip was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment