About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Walking Day to ME!

Today is a special day for me. Seven years ago today I took the first steps towards regaining my independence and redefining my life. Today is Walking Day!

Although I cannot forget the anniversary of my amputation, I choose to celebrate Walking Day. For me this day represents much more than merely taking a few tentative steps. In a very real way, although I didn't know it at the time, I was starting a new phase of my life.

I never would have envisioned how my life would change so dramatically because of my amputation. I knew that I would be living without my leg and relying upon a prosthetic. I couldn't have prepared for the isolation, struggles and pain that would ensue. It has been an arduous journey, but I am better for it.

I never could have imagined that a short seven years later I would be a Mommy to a wonderful little boy. I author a blog which has a loyal following and which I believe has been of some assistance to others going through their own journey. Many of my readers I am blessed to call friends.

Who would have thought that I would be working as a Spokesperson Ossur, telling my story to a variety of audiences around the country. My life has taken turns that I could not have planned, but it has been an extraordinary adventure! Not bad for this ex-teacher turned stay-at-home Mommy who just wanted to reach out to help ease the isolation associated with limb loss!

I remember my Walking Day as if it were yesterday. Scott and I were terrified as we waited for Elliot to present me with my new prosthetic. Thankfully Scott is a bit of a techno-nerd and captured the entire moment on film.

Every year on Walking Day I watch the video and Scott brings me flowers. This year I'm in Atlanta, but I'm still going to watch the video. I am proud of how far I've come. On a side note, Scott will be happy because he has an extra day to remember to get my flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment